Saturday 29 October 2022

Review: Garrett's Destiny

Garrett's Destiny Garrett's Destiny by Rebecca Zanetti
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

This tells the story of Garrett Kayrs, nephew of the King of the Realm, vampire-demon hybrid, and member of the Seven. If none of that makes any sense to you then I suggest you start reading one of the earlier books because for me the romance is very much inferior to the overarching storyline about the ongoing war between the Kurjans and the Realm over the fate of Enhanced human females. The Kurjan leader, Ulric, who sacrificed one hundred enhanced females to make himself invincible, was trapped by the Seven in a demon realm but the barriers are weakening and it is only a matter of time before he breaks free.

Destiny Applegate has just left her sheltered life at an exclusive boarding school on a remote island, she runs into Garrett when the man she is with tries pushing her around in a diner, which just happens to be full of Garrett's motorcycle club, the Grizzlies (which is 90% actual Bear shifters). Destiny immediately recognises Garrett as the man of her dreams, a man she has been in love with most of her life, but Garrett suspects that she is a trap set by the Kurjans.

The series arc is driving ever closer to the big showdown and there are a lot of really good reveals in this story. Unfortunately, for me, the rinse-and-repeat nature of the romance is becoming a bit tedious. Every single member of the Seven has to be bossy and force their mate to their will, they always have to be dominant, they always have to display their dominance through spanking (which to me has an icky parental punishment vibe - using your greater strength to punish someone smaller and weaker), there is alway hair-pulling and growling and metaphorical peeing on the woman to show ownership. Honestly I just skim through all the sex scenes as quickly as possible because they are all the same from book to book - I could not tell you in fifteen books if a single male made love in a different way (loads of people are about to prove me wrong). Couldn't just one of them be gentle and respectful, maybe even not sure she could like him? It's all a bit one-dimensional.

Every time I start one of these books my eyes roll at the repetitiveness of the sex and I think, 'this is the one I can't finish, this is where it ends' and then I get sucked into the story arc and carried along until I rock up at the end of the book shouting 'what a ride!'

So, in summary, series arc gets four, maybe four and a half stars, romance gets three, maybe even two and a half stars. Averages out to three and a half stars.

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...