Thursday 20 October 2022

Review: You're a Mean One, Matthew Prince

You're a Mean One, Matthew Prince You're a Mean One, Matthew Prince by Timothy Janovsky
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

DNF at 34%.

Not even all the gushing reviews could persuade me to finish this book. Matthew Prince is a spoilt rich brat, who went too far when he bought an actual island, and he has now been cut off from his trust fund/limitless credit cards and sent to stay with his kindly grandparents in a small town just before Christmas. To add insult to injury, his grandparents are hosting a young man, Hector Martinez, who is studying at the local college, and they have to share the basement (bunk beds) because his grandparents are just so dargone humble that they didn't want a bigger house.

Matthew has some anxiety issues, but he's opinionated, a snob, entitled, and frankly not as clever as he thinks he is. He also suffers from having an obnoxious BFF who generally ignores him. In order to try to escape this hellhole and get back to New York city, Matthew and Hector agree to take over organising the town's annual charity gala, Matthew thinks it will be a breeze because he is always organising lavish parties in New York, he's just never had to do it on a shoe-string budget.

I'm over a third of the way through this book and it's not funny or cute, I don't like Matthew and Hector comes across as a paragon of virtue - what he can see in Matthew I don't know.

So, there it is, maybe I'm the wrong age group for this book but it's not for me.

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...