Wednesday 5 October 2022

Review: Killers of a Certain Age

Killers of a Certain Age Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Billie, Mary Alice, Helen and Natalie were recruited to be an elite group of female assassins for a shadowy organisation called The Museum back in the 1970s. Originally set up by ex-OSS and other military acronyms staff to track down and kill Nazis, in recent years as the number of living Nazis has dwindled they have branched out into killing dictators, drug lords, paedophiles, and other 'bad people'. But all good things come to an end and after forty years the women have officially retired and been given an all-expenses paid cruise.

They might have retired and be slightly less agile than they were forty years ago, but they are still as sharp as tacks and notice that another Museum employee is posing as a waiter on board. The only conclusion is that he has been sent to assassinate them ... but why?

This reminds me very much of that great film Red starring Bruce Willis and Helen Mirren (among others), it has the same vibe. These four women have forgotten more than most of their younger colleagues have learned, and they won't go down without a fight. If the Board of the Museum has ordered their deaths then the Board must die.

It took me ages to start reading this, mainly because I had tried and heartily disliked A Curious Beginning, but I liked the sound of this so I requested an ARC .. and then left it on my TBR pile for nearly two months!

Anyway, if you want to read about four independent women killing their enemies in creative fashion, then look no further. A clever romp that will keep you enthralled all the way through. Dare I hope there might be a sequel?

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...