Monday 6 November 2023

Review: The Perfectly Simple Complicated Life of Maggie Halloran

The Perfectly Simple Complicated Life of Maggie Halloran The Perfectly Simple Complicated Life of Maggie Halloran by Trish Morey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Maggie Halloran is a divorced, recently retired woman who has moved to Cornwall to be close (but not too close) to her mother who is in an assisted living apartment. Enjoying life in her terraced two bedroom cottage, with her Sudoku puzzles and her friend-with-benefits Nigel, her life is thrown into chaos when her mother announces she is getting married and wants Maggie to help (ie do everything). Then at the wedding, Maggie's daughter announces that she is pregnant, has quit her job and wants to move in with Maggie with her puppy while she starts up her blog.

Soon Maggie's cottage is bursting at the seams with her daughter (and her furniture), a dog, her mother (and her furniture), her ex-husband who has relocated to Cornwall to be near their daughter, and Nigel. And everyone expects Maggie to do everything for them.

Earlier this year I received an ARC of the second book in this series which I very much enjoyed, I liked the references to the characters in this book so when I saw it was on offer at 99p I jumped at the chance to buy it.

Although I enjoyed this I didn't like it as much as the second book. Maggie's family were just so obnoxious and self-absorbed that the HEA felt forced/fake. Also there was a bit of a woo-woo bit near the end which seemed pointless.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...